Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Non-Traditional Elastic Application- Easy Shorts, Any Size

When folks create those collective websites to show different ways to make an elastic waistband, I never see this application listed.      
     This method was shown on "Sewing with Nancy" probably back in the late 80s. Since I've seen this, I've used this method. The beautiful finish reminds me of ready made.  It sure beats my stiff fingers threading elastic through a channel of fabric.
   This method was also the feature of my 3 Step Skirt article I wrote for the Volume 8 of the "Sew it All" magazine.

********************

This posts shows how I make shorts with elastic waistband for any size from doll through women's size.

 Maybe if I had paid closer attention I could have matched the plaids better in the seam,
 but I doubt it because this was a small scrap of fabric.












 Instead of pins, I put the remaining side seam together with
 a single stitch from sewing machine.

 Finish seams with serger.

**********************************
Thanks to the FREE programs:
possibly used for this post
GIMP for cropping & other digital effects
 Photoscape for downsizing & watermarking photo
PicMonkey creating collages used on this page

4 comments:

  1. Threading elastic through a casing can sometimes be time consuming, depending on how tight the casing is and the type of elastic. Your method looks much faster to sew, Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember using this method.....a long time ago.....in the 80's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, I agree. This is a much better way of sewing elastic into pants. I'm going to have to try that on my boys pajama bottoms. Thank you for sharing it on KISMIF and come back sometime. I'd love to see your projects!--Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice tutorial ! Thanks for sharing at the Oh My Heartsie Girls WW. :)

    ~Lorelai
    Life With Lorelai

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.