Monday, August 25, 2014

Canning Green Tomatoes for Fried Green Tomatoes Anytime

          I've done a lot of canning once upon a time, but something I never thought about was canning green tomatoes so I could have Fried Green Tomatoes anytime of the year. However, recently I came across on Facebook, Edith, my friend since we were 5 years old, and her How-to for canning green tomatoes.  It was another day that reminded me, "You're never too old to learn something."
          I asked if I could swipe her picture, and share her directions on my blog.  She said, "Yes!"
Her directions in her words are as follow:
"ok people this is how I can green tomatoes .. and yes it works....Be sure to get very green and a firm green tomatoes.... slice them and pack in qt jars... I use wide mouth because its easier to get them out....put 1 teaspoon canning salt in jar and cover with cold water. seal and put in cooker large enough to cover with 1 in. cold water. bring to a boil and then boil for 10 mins.. take out as soon as time is up.. when u r ready to cook.. Drain well and I dip them in cornmeal and fry.. I have been doing this for years and they r always good...especially when its cold outside.. But the tomatoes have to be a firm kind no juicy or they will fall apart when u go to cook them... to me they taste just like fresh ones" 

Then another friend, Sandra, commented:
"I dipped mine in buttermilk before putting them in a mixture of cornmeal & seasoned salt. They were great! I will always make sure to have some of these on hand for winter frying."

Now my challenge is to find some fresh, very green and firm tomatoes.

**********************************
Thanks to the FREE programs:
possibly used for this post
GIMP for cropping & other digital effects
 Photoscape for downsizing & watermarking photo
PicMonkey creating collages used on this page



8 comments:

  1. These look delicious, I have green ones in my yard now. ~ Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds easy! and potentially delish later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, these look so good. When I was young we would have fried green tomatoes with white gravy for Sunday breakfast.
    Angel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect time for this post........it's getting colder in the Northeast and won't be long until all the green tomatoes need picking. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im about to make some! I soak mine 8n buttermilk also before frying!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We put an 1/8 teaspoon of alum in each qt. With 1/4teaspoon of salt. Add hot water and water bath for 15 minutes Comes out crispy every time

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your recipe and can’t wait to try this. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.