Saturday, March 15, 2014

Quilt Shot Block #22~ Good Luck

'Good Luck'
12 inch block
I really enJOY quilt blocks that make me take a minute to figure out how they are constructed.  At first look, I noticed the square inside the block and thought it had to be put together with a right angle seam which I never have mastered.

This pattern found in:
           Notice this shows an 8 inch block. I'm making 12" blocks. So I took some freezer paper (with wax on one side), used my 12" square ruler and drew out a 12" square without quarter inch seam.  Then, 3" inside, drew the 3" square.  With the guidance of my cutting mat lines, I added the diagonal and cross lines.
            I cut out the triangle and trapezoid from one of the corner blocks. Then I stacked 4 layers of fabric, all right sides up, and ironed the paper piece on the top fabric.  Using my quarter inch ruler, I added ¼ inch to all sides as I cut out the piece 4 at a time.

         Then here is how I put it together without the right angle seam.
           







 Good luck to you during St. Patty's Day!

**********************************
Thanks to the FREE programs:
possibly used for this post
GIMP for cropping & other digital effects
 Photoscape for downsizing & watermarking photo
PicMonkey creating collages used on this page
 

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful block and so fitting for St Patricks day too! ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a quilter, but your documentation made me think, 'Oh, that's how it is done!'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great block! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job increasing the size and what a neat block! Thanks for sharing! Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. great tute, love the square!!! pinned :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is a cool block- great tutorial!

    Thanks so much for showing this off at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great block, Joy. Thanks for the tutorial. I've pinned.

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.